As you are aware, tomorrow March 8th is International Women’s Day. It is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women; and to celebrate International Women’s Day, Sport Ireland has designated this week “Women in Sport Week”.
Offaly Sports Partnership are putting on a small programmes of events; and sponsoring some others as part of our commitment to Women in Sport Week. We hope in future years, the range of activities will grow right across our county and will be taken up by all sports codes.
We have also partnered with the Tribune newspapers to bring out a 12-page commemorative feature on women in sport in Offaly. This should be on shop shelves with the Tullamore and Midland Tribune papers on Wednesday.
For those of you that buy the Tribune, I hope you enjoy this small piece of local sports history. Maybe you’ll also see one or two names in it that you recognise. If anyone would like the electronic proof of the publication, please let me know and I will see if it can be sourced and shared.
Locally, here are somethings happening for women in sport week:
- Canoeing – Canoeing Ireland launch of its "Teen Connect" video for social media channels on Monday 7th March. This online video featuring local paddler and Special Olympian Moira Scott and other TY students will highlight the benefits of paddle sports to teenage girls
- Golf – International Women’s Day Golf tournament for Seniors in Tullamore Golf Club on Tuesday 8th March. Junior Golf tournament for girls in Tullamore Golf Club throughout the week
- Rugby – Offaly Secondary School rugby blitz in Birr Rugby in conjunction with Leinster Rugby on Tuesday 8th March
- Basketball – 3 v 3 inter school “street basketball” blitz for secondary school girls on Thursday 10th March in Tullamore College
- Athletics – The Pauline Curley Marathon Relay: 30 primary school girls to share the running of the marathon distance in Tullamore Harriers on Friday 11th March
- Soccer – FAI launch of 4-week “Glow Football” programme in Clara Town FC for girls aged for 8 – 10 years on Friday 11th March. Details of the launch of recreational football for women and girls aged over 16 years to be announced
- Park Run Tullamore (Fiona's Way, Grand Canal, Tullamore) women in sport themed event on Saturday 12th March at 9.30am. Pauline Curley to lead out teh event
- Camogie – Parents, current and former members of Tullamore Camogie Club are invited along on Saturday 12th March to O Brien Park for 10am to join Offaly Olympian, Pauline Curley for a walk followed by a little bit of Camogie and games, concluding with some refreshments. Meet up with members of our Hurl with Me groups, Caman & Chat group, Club Coaches, etc
- Cycling – 40km women’s cycle on Saturday 12th March organised by Team 905 Cycling Club, Edenderry
- Boxing – Open female sparing in St. Brigid’s Boxing Club, Edenderry throughout the week
- Hockey – Support for Tullamore Hockey Club in its administration of the West Leinster Cup and Plate finals for U-14 and U-16 girls
- Ladies Football – Edenderry Ladies Gaelic Football blitz on Sunday 13th March. Open to all club members aged 13 to 16 years with an open call for others to join