In 2022, the Government provided an additional investment of €35 million to support sporting organisations with the rising energy costs associated with the provision of sport e.g. indoor activity in winter, the provision of outdoor floodlighting, etc. To date €19m has been distributed to Sport Ireland Recognised National Governing Bodies of Sport.
A second phase of the Scheme is now open via Local Sports Partnerships; and this phase will target community owned sports facilities which do not currently qualify for TBESS or other Government support schemes through DRCD, Local Authorities etc.
Clubs or facilities affiliated to Sport Ireland recognised NGBs should access support directly through their NGB.
General cost of living increases such as rising costs in accommodation, rent, rates or labour costs are not eligible. Fuel costs associated with machinery, vehicles, travel or transport do not qualify.
- The Sports Energy Support Scheme (SESS) will contribute to the increased energy costs associated with providing sporting activity only.
- The Eligibility period will relate to increased costs sustained between September 1st 2022 and May 31st 2023.
- Non Energy related increases are ineligible. These include increased costs in accommodation, rent, rates or labour costs.
- Fuel costs associated with machinery, vehicles, travel or transport do not qualify.
- Pre-existing debts or deficits do not qualify.
- Energy costs associated with non-sporting activity such as bars, restaurants etc. are not eligible under SESS; however, such trading activity may be eligible for support under the Government’s Temporary Business Energy Support Scheme (TBESS).
- Organisations applying for support must own/lease the sporting facilities or be the primary utility bill payer.
- The Scheme will be open to Local Sports Partnerships. This is to ensure pre-existing levels of governance and operational assurances exist between Sport Ireland and those in direct receipt of funding.
- The Scheme is aimed at supporting Clubs in the Republic of Ireland only.
- Support will be capped at a maximum of €90,000 (average of €10k per month) for any one club / facility.
The Scheme will not cover:
- Private / Commercial gyms, pools & sports facilities (These are eligible to apply for TBESS)
- Local authority facilities
- School or Third level sports facilities
If you are unsure whether your facility qualifies for this support, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org