a multi-sectoral subcommittee of Offaly County Council
core funded by Sport Ireland
Be Active After School Activity Programme
The Be Active ASAP aims to improve the physical activity patterns of primary school children by introducing them to a wide variety of activities in a fun, supportive, positive environment, fostering positive attitudes toward physical activity during children’s crucial formative years.
The Be Active ASAP: -
- Takes place after school on school grounds offering a safe, familiar, convenient setting for an age-appropriate introduction to after-school physical activity.
- Designed for 7-8 year olds, an age at which children begin to make decisions regarding their likes / dislikes or abilities regarding physical activity.
- Led by trained teacher leaders as they have the knowledge to adjust activities to challenge children appropriately, irrespective of ability.
- Involves parents in their children’s physical activity to improve the adult:child ratio, to support the teacher and to set a good example for the children.
- Gives children the chance to succeed as this programme concentrates on building confidence across a broad range of activities echoing the Physical Education Curriculum for Primary Schools experienced by children during the school day.
For more information on the Be Active ASAP, visit the website